Staff members in this role and all roles beyond this position are expected to “own” their area(s) of expertise by strategically planning and managing client programs, mentoring and managing the work of all staff underneath this role and effectively managing client needs and expectations.
The Director is consistently someone who has demonstrated that they can effectively manage clients and staff. Emphasis is placed on improving Fearey’s services, maintaining and growing existing client relationships and retaining and growing our firm’s professional staff.
The individual should possess the ability to hit the ground running in a fast-paced environment and consistently deliver high-quality results. The candidate should demonstrate a high level of personal initiative, integrity and responsibility. This person must understand how an agency business works and is constantly exploring ways to improve upon it.
- A Bachelor’s degree in communications, PR, journalism, digital media or marketing or similar field
- 7-10 years working as an employee in PR, journalism or marketing, agency experience preferred
- Experience with media monitoring tools such as Cision, TVEyes, Meltwater Lexis Nexus and social media tools such as Hootsuite, Simply Measured, SEM Rush is a plus
- Strong background in account management, media relations and project management
- Strong written and verbal skills with knowledge of AP style
- Self-starter – ability to work well alone and with others
- Experience managing, motivating and growing careers of team members
- Attension to detail is a must! If you are still reading and catch this error, call it out in your cover letter
- Passionate about getting stuff done and making a difference
- Proven ability to effectively organize and manage multiple tasks
- Serve as dedicated account contact for multiple clients, in partnership with management team member
- Serve as secondary account contact for other clients as assigned, in partnership with management team member
- Develop strategy and oversee client work plans, projects and deliverables
- Supervise day-to-day account work being executed by PR and creative/digital staff
- Ensure client results are met and business is retained
- Oversee and lead regular client check-ins for all assigned accounts
- Develop and measure key performance indicators for all assigned accounts ensuring teams are hitting each metric
- Oversee and ensure a strong standard of quality control for all assigned accounts
- Manage client budgets in partnership with management team member
- Play a senior leadership role on most, if not all, client accounts
- Oversee division team or specified group of accounts for the firm
- Manage staff on division team including successful hiring and retention, overseeing their professional development and professional success
- Report into the company management team on division wins and specifics that matter to the outcomes of the division they oversees; regularly proposes needs/assessments and provide solutions on problems or growth needs
- Actively take on the thought leadership role in the region’s PR industry as well as an in an industry sector that the firm is focused within
- Manage the firm’s sector relationships – both from a professional standpoint as well as within the sales process
- Markets the firm’s services to the sector that he/she oversees
- Oversee strategic direction for media materials and outreach, social media and integrated communications efforts
- Develop strategy for client media relations outreach efforts
- Oversee account team media outreach execution, ensuring results
- Serve as primary point-of-contact for top-tier and national press
- Serve as an on-call crisis communications contact for clients and agency
- Develops media relations strategy and campaigns for all clients that have a media relations component of the program
- Manages the execution of media relations programs to ensure media relations deliverables and goals for clients are consistently met
- Counsels clients and account teams on strategic recommendations on media relations approaches across broadcast, print and digital media
- Thinks strategically and outside the box to drive home results – thinks fearlessly
- Plays a major role in defining media coverage opportunities for clients – and helps secure coverage when necessary
- Has a solid track record in placing high profile media results and continues to cultivate relationships with relevant journalists
- Leads and manages media training sessions and speaker preparations
Digital and Creative
- Oversee social and/or digital media campaign strategy, work plans, implementation and renewal proposals for all of the team’s clients with a digital component in partnership with digital/creative team
- Oversee development of concept/strategy and oversee the creation of client creative materials, including e-newsletters, website content, digital campaigns, marketing collateral, etc. for all clients in partnership with creative/digital team
- Play a clear leadership role in developing PR and marketing strategies, branding campaigns, and other revenue-generating projects deemed “creative”
- Lead brainstorms for new business and renewal proposals to general creative ideas for clients accounts; develop presentation materials for clients and prospects
- Contribute ideas, expertise and actively participate in the sales process, resulting in the closure of new or expanded business, particularly as in relates to the creative marketing and PR projects websites and/or branding campaigns
- Takes a leadership role in Fearey’s sales process by assisting with responses, proposals, intake calls, onboarding programs, etc.
- Oversee strategy, planning and implementation of projects for clients, including special events, prospect dinners, business investment opportunities, luncheons, etc.
- Support strategic direction with Fearey marketing
- Support client retention and new business growth
- Participate in at least one professional association outside of Fearey
- Build new business including identifying and pursuing new business leads, developing proposals and presenting to prospects – must be able to bring in new business to the firm based on personal network and relationships
- Contributes ideas, expertise and actively participates in the sales process, resulting in the closure of new or expanded business
- Outgoing and enthusiastic personality. We need a go-getter!
- Comfortable and confident talking to leaders, executives and ambassadors online and offline
- Solutions-focused and driven by results
- Excellent communication skills: solid grammar, ability to write concisely, great on the phone!
Comprehensive Benefits Package
Fearey offers an extensive benefits package to employees that includes the following:
- 100% paid premium for employee’s medical, dental and vision coverage
- Five percent commission on all new business accounts identified by the candidate and awarded to the firm
- Annual four weeks of paid time off (depending on when you start) and a minimum of eight paid holidays per year
- 401(k) plan with match on employee contributions
- Sit for long periods of time
- Use hands to handle, control, or feel objects, tools, or controls
- Repeat the same movements
- See details of objects that are less than a few feet away
- See differences between colors, shades, and brightness
In its fifth decade, Fearey has earned an outstanding reputation as the leading independent full-service public relations firm in Washington state. For more than 41 years, we have had a track record of long-term client and employee relationships. With our combined focus on public relations and public affairs, we bring a real-world understanding of the business climate and the local political landscape to every situation. We pride ourselves in our award-winning practice and have been recognized as a Best Workplace to Work by the Puget Sound Business Journal and Seattle Business.
We strongly support employee involvement in the community through board appointments, non-profit involvement and civic participation. Our industries of focus include healthcare, real estate, built environment, life sciences, environmentally-friendly/innovative products, financial services, municipalities, social good and non-profits.
Fearey consistently rewards individuals with drive, creativity and an entrepreneurial spirit. Our motto is “Fearless Thinking.”
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. (No phone calls, please.)
Fearey is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status or any other discriminatory factors prohibited by law.