New social media platforms are nothing new, but we’ve never seen anything quite like Threads. Amid recent tensions between Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Twitter CEO Elon Musk, an app has come forth to shake the ground beneath Twitter’s feet. Here, we’re giving you a play by play on what’s happened since the launch of Threads.
7/5/2023 4:00 PM PST
- Threads becomes available in 100 countries, including the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and Japan.
- Fearey’s social media team downloads the app.
- Threads is a new app, built by the Instagram team, for sharing text updates and joining public conversations.
- You log in using your Instagram account and posts can be up to 500 characters long and include links, photos, and videos up to 5 minutes in length.
- Once logged in you can import your Instagram profile information and you’ll be given the opportunity to follow either all or a hand selected group of accounts you follow on Instagram to help you jumpstart your Threads following.
- Celebrities and brands were already populating on the app from the likes of Gordon Ramsay and Jennifer Lopez to Netflix and Animal Planet.
7/5/2023 5:45 PM PST
- Fearey joins Threads! Follow us @FeareyAgency
7/5/2023 8:07 PM PST
- After spending some time in the platform we’ve got some information to share.
- At this time there is no paid subscription to Threads.
- Beware, if you delete your Threads account you will also delete your Instagram account. However, you can deactivate Threads without affecting Instagram.
- Your Threads name and handle must be the same as your Instagram name and handle.
- Profile pictures can be changed at any time and do not have to match Instagram.
- Threads does not have a direct or private message function currently.
7/6/2023 9:30 AM PST
- A Threads dictionary is released, and no it’s not a “re-thread.”
7/6/2023 2:45 PM PST
- Twitter threatens legal action over Meta’s “copycat” Threads, report says.
7/7/2023 8:00 AM PST
- Threads hits 70 million users and yes, that’s a big deal.
7/7/2023 10:00 AM PST
- A number of top “Twitter Journalists” are joining Threads.
- Official YouTube and Google accounts have been created.
At this time, we recommend joining the platform and reserving your preferred handle as you would with any up-and-coming social media channel. Test out different forms of content that feel authentic to you or your brand, engage with other users and see what happens. Check back for updates on reporting and third-party posting capabilities.
See you on Threads!